1. Doosan v NC had just about everything. Riding the bus home on Sunday night in the Jamsil area, I saw plenty of young Doosan fans passed out in the arms of their parents. And who can blame them? The meeting of 3rd v 2nd was as close to a rollercoaster ride as you'll ever… Continue reading KBO observations form the 3rd week of June.
1. Are we about to see a new team reach the KBO summit soon? Despite a respectable 3 wins from 5 last week, the Kia Tigers' prolonged hold on top spot hasn't look this vulnerable for two months. The reason is that the NC Dinos are absolutely killing it now, winning 5 games last week… Continue reading 5 talking points from the second week of June: 6/5~6/11.
It has been a busy few days so no time for a proper rankings piece, unfortunately. Here are three observations from the past week. 1. What do SK Wyverns' home run stats really tell us? As part of our podcast series, the topic of SK's ability to hit home runs has regularly featured off and… Continue reading KBO rankings. First week of June.
1. Doosan Bears. Won 4, lost 1. Tuesday's game was rained out but otherwise Doosan continued their decent run of form and moved into the top 3 following LG's horror week. The only blip was Friday's loss at home to kt. What made that game interesting was seeing Yoo Hee-gwon pitch another 9 innings having… Continue reading KBO rankings. End of May
Doosan Bears. Won 4, lost 2. A difficult week on paper for Doosan facing the top 2, NC Dinos and Kia Tigers, but they'll be pretty happy with their total of 4 wins, especially as three came in the sweep of the leaders at the weekend. Even the two games they lost to NC were… Continue reading KBO rankings. The play off teams.
1. Doosan Bears. Won 4, lost 0. The Bears responded to their shattering sweep by LG by winning all 4 games last week; the SK Wyverns didn't manage a single run in 18 innings (Tuesday was rained out) and then Lotte were brushed aside on Saturday and Sunday. By far the biggest positive for Doosan… Continue reading KBO rankings. Second week of May.
1. LG Twins: Won 5, lost 1. One of two 5-win teams, we just about place LG over Kia because of the teams they beat this week. NC were, arguably, the hottest team in Korean baseball until they were mauled on Wednesday. Following that, the Twins swept their flatmates in very convincing fashion at a… Continue reading KBO rankings. First week of May.
1. NC Dinos: Won 5, lost 1. A big week for NC who began with an expected sweep of kt before taking down the only team above them in the league. They crucified Kia on Sunday and generally struck gold against the weak relief pitching on offer. Park Suk-min made a welcome return to form… Continue reading KBO weekly rankings.
1. NC Dinos. Won 5, tied 1. Ominously for the rest of the league, the Dinos have found a bit of form (they are unbeaten in 7 games) and now boast a 12 and 7 record, with one tie. They look the most likely team to overtake the Tigers at the summit and be the… Continue reading KBO rankings. Week 3. Playoff positions.
1. Kia Tigers: Won 5, lost 1. A fantastic week for the league leaders who won 5 straight and swept Nexen Heroes for the first time in over 4 years. They're now on 11 and 3 for the season, despite some mediocre stats. This is an imperfect roster and their excellent start comes down to… Continue reading KBO Rankings. Week 2.